Monday, 20 May 2013

Thornycroft 10hp Car, 1903

 photo 1903thornycrofta_zpsa0cb80c8.jpg 

 Thornycroft had produced steam road vehicles and ships since the 1860's, and started to make internal combustion engine vehicles in 1902. They made their first car in 1903 with a small, two cylinder 10hp car, and continued to make cars until 1912 when they stopped owing to competition and concentrated on commercial vehicles. This one, engine number AZ11 and chassis number 203 was built by Thornycroft in Basingstoke, Hampshire in 1903, and was delivered to its first owner on 29th February 1904, Reverend HA Acheson-Gray, Vicar of Stoughton, Sussex. It was acquired by a Major at auction in Southsea in 1908, who after using it put it in storage in Bursledon, Hampshire until WW2 when it was kept at the Levers Garage in nearby Lower Swanwick. In around 1943 it went to the first of quite a few owners through the post-war years - after being sold at a Sotheby's auction in 1990 it went through two further change of owners that year alone. In 1993 it was up for auction again, and after it didn't sell the Hampshire Museums Service negotiated and purchased it. After a restoration using traditional techniques, including a recreation of the tonneau body it would have had when built, it went on display at the Milestones Museum, Basingstoke, and has also taken part in the London to Brighton veteran car run. For more information on it, see the webpage here -

 photo 1903thornycroftb_zps61e0e888.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment